Royal Eijsbouts Bell Foundry, Asten, The Netherlands
Bonaventura Eijsbouts from Asten in Holland was a watchmaker with a great interest in bells and clocks. He began making tower clocks in a modest workshop in 1872. The the demand for the quality of his clock making led him to move to a larger manufacturing facility in 1905. This new location has been expanded over the years into the modern bell founding facility that we know as the Royal Eijsbouts Bell Foundry.
Bonaventura's son Johan joined the company in 1893. Looking for ways to expand the business, he saw bells as a natural adjunct to tower clocks. Not having the expertise to cast bells, Eijsbouts began to import bells from the best foundries of the time in England. Johan's son Tuur Ejsbouts brought engineering and technical expertise to the company in 1924. Tuur applied himself to the study of bell making, culminating in the opening of an in-house bell foundry in 1947. From this time on, the company would become a highly regarded bell foundry. Tuur retired in 1962 when his brother Max took full control of the business. During the Netherland's centenary celebrations in 1972, Eijsbouts was awarded the designation Royal, for its quality and reliable service.
Beginning in 1949, with campanologist Andre Leher, Eijsbouts increased the quality of their bell making and reproduction of not only the English bell profiles, but also the historic Dutch bell founders such as the Hemony brothers. Leher took the reins of the company upon Max's death in 1976, and continued to improve bells and raise the efficiencies of the bell making process until his retirement in 1990.
Joost Eijsbouts brought control of the company back into family hands, serving as general manager since 1996.
Aarschot Peace Carillon