InSpire audio connections
inSpire audio systems provide the most realistic church bell ringing available. This page contains instructions for installing these systems as well as illustratied downloads and links to each system's specifications. The digital amplifier supplied with inSpire audio systems has been custom tuned for the supplied speakers. All amplifier settings are pre-programmed to simplify the installation of this sophisticated bell ringing system.
- Do not connect power to system until all connections are completed.
- Start with the speakers and hookup amplifier and carillon last.
- Always use stranded wire for audio
- Place a junction box at both the amplifier and speaker locations so 14 AWG cable pigtails can be used to make connections.
What size wire should I use?
Size matters when it comes to low impedance speaker wiring. As the distance increases, consider the insertion loss for a given wire size and then increase the wire size (smaller AWG numbers) accordingly. Pro audio system designers generally look for a loss less than 0.2 dB but that may not be realistic for your situation.
This table is provided to help you understand what kinds of losses occur with different size wire. A 3 deciBel loss is one fourth of your amplifier power, that is, for 100 Watts output, only 75 Watts will get to the speaker. Lost power is dissipated over the length of the wire as heat.
|Loss for 4-Ohm Load (-dB)||Distance (feet) 14 AWG||Distance (feet) 12 AWG||Distance (feet) 10 AWG|
|3 (1/4 Power!)||300||450||750|
If the amplifier is capable and programmed to output to a 70 Volt line, 14 AWG wire can be used. Keep in mind that speakers designed for 70 Volt lines have built-in transformers with their own insertion losses.
This package includes a digital amplifier with DSP tuned to drive four long-throw mid-high frequency horns. Additional amplifier outputs are provided for
- Full-range tower speaker upgrade
- Inside monitoring speaker
The amplifier is factory programmed with the same parameters as the Ascent package below so use the Ascent hookup instructions.
This package includes a digital amplifier with DSP tuned to drive four long-throw mid-range frequency horns and a single 12-inch, two way full range horn.
- inSpire Ascent System specification
- Download the illustrated PDF quick start guide
- Three pairs of wires to the tower and optional Chime Master factory installation can provide optional directional level control for the long-throw speakers.
inSpire AX Ascent hookup instructions
- Two tower cables without directional volume control
- Three tower cables for directional volume control
The volume level settings in the AX virtual bell instrument can be found in the settings menu.
- Use Zone A level for the loud side
- Use Zone B level for the quieter side
- Use Monitor 1 level for the optional inside speaker if connected
Tower speaker connections
- Secure speakers according to instructions enclosed in packing using supplied hardware as required.
- Connect supplied pigtails to horn drivers before screwing the drivers into the horns. Note that low impedance drivers are normally supplied with two terminal screws. Do not move the screws to non-functioning 70V terminals.
- Bring the pigtails from each horn to the supplied junction box. Bring the mid-range channel supply cable from the amplifier (Channels A and B outputs are paralleled with the supplied jumpers) into the junction box. Connect all five of the white wires together, then all of the black wires together using two of the larger brass set-screw wire-nuts and covers. Orient the threaded part of the brass insert toward the wire insulation. Tighten the set-screw and trim excess wire from the end of the insert before screwing on the wire-nut cover.
- Remove the 70V Jumper on from the terminal on the full-range horn.
- Connect the full-range channel supply cable from the amplifier (Channel C) to the full-range horn. Connect the white wire to the COM terminal, and the black wire to the 4 Ohm voice coil terminal.
- Use the supplied amplifier control cable to connect the Amplifier Control jack on the carillon to Input 1 and GPI. This supplies both tower audio and power/standby control to the amplifier.
- Connect the carillon to AC power.
- Connect the amplifier to AC power.
- The carillon has been shipped with the scheduled outside volume set to Level 4. It can be adjusted for different times of the week from level 1 to 8.
Optional inside speaker
- Use the supplied 1/4 inch to green Euro connector to connect the Line Output Inside jack on the carillon to Input 4 on the amplifier.
- Connect the lead from the inside speaker to the amplifier's Output D terminals. The volume level is set using the cursor up/down buttons on the front panel, or the iOS/Android Church Bell Remote App's monitor volume buttons.